Tell-tale signs that it’s time to visit our Brisbane tyre centre and get your wheels aligned
Tyres can last tens of thousands of kilometres if they are treated right and you look after them. As I discussed a short while ago, you can save your life and your money by proper tyre rotation. The same can be said for wheel alignment: when your wheels are properly aligned, you’ll notice the difference in handling, fuel consumption, and on the life of your tyres. But how do you know it’s time to head to our Brisbane tyre centre to get your wheels aligned?
4 signs it’s time to get your wheels aligned
There are some classic signs that you are suffering from bad wheel alignment:
1. Uneven wear: indicated by different patterns of wear on front and back tyres of nearside and offside tyres.
2. Steering is pulling: if you find that you are beginning to wrestle with the steering wheel to stay in a straight line, the wheel alignment is probably the cause. A less aggressive pull – when you’re on a road, and the car gently pulls one way or the other – is an early warning signal.
3. Car vibration: if you’re driving along and the car starts to judder and the steering wheel vibrate, then wheel alignment is again the most likely cause.
4. Misaligned steering wheel: if your steering wheel is crooked when you’re driving in a straight line, it’s time to get your wheels aligned.
The benefits of keeping the wheels aligned correctly
According to RACV’s cost of motoring study, a properly fitted and correctly aligned set of wheels should last 45,000 kilometres. With an average mileage of 45,000 kilometres per year, your tyres should be good for three years. It’s recommended that you check if your wheels are properly aligned once a year (or every 15,000 kilometres) to make certain that you get maximum wear. If you do this, then you will:
- satisfy tyre warranties
- improve the handling of your car
- reduce wear and tear on the steering column and other engine parts
- get better fuel consumption
If you’re unsure if it’s time to get your wheels aligned, then err on the side of caution and have them checked by a professional at our Brisbane tyre centre. Doing so could save more than a few kilometres every litre of fuel: better handling equals a safer drive.
If you’d like to know more about tyre maintenance, or get a free quote on wheel alignment, give us a call on 3333 5510.